Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Arise from the ashes

We are still here folks, I know it's hard to believe.  There has been a lot of life keeping us busy, Grimmlin is now a proud husband and father (in that order and more than 9 months apart), and I am flying ~200 times a year for work. Many things have changed, we moved our bug tracker and svn (I still hate git) from pentoo.ch to googlecode, and we have significantly tightened our integration into gentoo.  About 6 weeks ago I was officially welcomed into the development team for Gentoo Linux, so my time has been evenly split between pushing critical packages and fixes up to Gentoo, and building live cds for development testing. Given the fact that I have never done anything like this, it has been a rough ride, especially since I've been building on my i5 laptop ;-) At HOPE I ran my mouth a little bit, and suggested I would have a public beta available for Defcon, which currently looks like it simply isn't going to happen.  Been a little too busy with fun things and not so fun things and just plain stuck on a few bugs which prevent the build from going properly.  None of these problems are major, and as such please stay tuned after Defcon.  Gentoo has promised a new release of a few things I need around July 30th so I should be able to kick out a nice public beta some time in August.

Just as a teaser, here are things which are already complete:

1.)New "pentoo" profiles which allow you to use hardened or not at your choice (who wants to be soft?)
2.)Full gpu cracking support for both cuda and opencl on both amd/ati and nvidia hardware including but not limited to pyrit, johntheripper, oclhashcat-plus, oclhashcat-lite
3.)Shiny 3.4.2 kernel (hardened or not)
4.)Full support for the ubertooth hardware (also added to kismet and wireshark)
5.)New radio category for sdr hacking for things like the rtl-sdr and Ettus USRP devices.
6.) 64 bit version (32 bit is a low priority until after the beta starts, sorry if your hardware is that old/crappy)

Things which are planned in a short order:

1.) Full arm support
2.)Openbts, for when hacking wifi just isn't cool enough to get the girl ;-)

Again, these are the short lists, the real changelog and planned features are mostly hiding in our >3000 commits in svn.  This will be a gem folks, if you have ever wanted a no-nonsense pen-testing distribution, this will be it.  Our aim is to be the rulers of this planet, even if only in our own minds.

See you soon, we will be talking again when we rock your work.

Sincerely,
Zero_Chaos and the entire Pentoo team

PS> I'm hiding out in Vegas in the Wireless Village at Defcon XX so stop by and let me know what's on your mind.

1 comment:

Mardian Gunawan said...

awesome :), we all pretty busy i guess. hows jensp?